Friday, April 1, 2011

Epic Traffic Map Fail

Last night I thought I was going to get home a relatively reasonable time.  It was about 7:40.  I checked the traffic maps.  There was just a little bit of yellow on the 10 but nothing too crazy.  It looked like my lucky night.  I had to take care of a few last minute things at the office so in 15 minutes or so I got in my car and headed out.  The second I got on the 10 at 4th street I was met with brake lights.  I pulled up my phone and checked the traffic again.  Now it said that there was nothing but read from here to almost downtown.  Apparently there had just been an accident.  I think there must be some kind of delay in the maps because there is no way traffic could back up that far (10 miles at least) in a matter of 15 minutes.  So I inched my way along the ten and got off on the next exit.  I think it was 20th street.  Looking at my phone again I saw a path that took me through deepest darkest Santa Monica and eventually to Venice Blvd were I could turn and soon meet the 405.  According to my map the 405 was totally clear.  Guess what happened.  About 20 minutes later I'm at the 405 and sitting in dead stop traffic.  At that point I was thinking maybe I should just go back to work.  Clearly there was some grand Trumanesque conspiracy to keep me from getting home.  I pressed on and once I got to the 105 I was clear all the way home.  I left the office just before 8 and made it home just after 9:30.



Sooooooo, this morning I decided to sleep in all the way to 6am.  I got in my car just after 8am.  Remembering what happened last night I checked the traffic maps when I was actually in my car with the engine running.  It showed the 60 being wide open.  My lucky day right:



wrong.  It took me about 50 minutes to get to Grand.  Motorcycle accident, fatality, 3 lanes blocked.  It was so bad the other side of the freeway was backed up for about a mile with people looking.  The body was still on the freeway when I passed.  I was so mad in my car leading up to the accident.  Once I drove by it was hard to be mad at somebody who was alive just 30 minutes ago.  At around 10:20 I pulled into the parking lot at Digital Domain.  By that time it felt like 1am to me.  I can't keep doing that.  I think I'm going to start coming in early more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment