Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chili Fail

One of my favorite cooking shows is Tyler Florence Ultimate.  Mr. Florence had a show last week about his best Texas style chili recipe.  It looked great so I thought I'd try it out over the Thanksgiving weekend.  It had a lot of ingredients.  I think it cost something like $30 for all the ingredients.  Spices sure are expensive.  So I got it all home and spent about 3 hours on Saturday putting it all together.  After the allotted time was over I eagerly picked up a spoon and tasted it.  My first reaction was that it was really spicy.  This was a surprise because one of the ingredients was 2 tablespoons of ancho chili powder, which I forgot to get so it was never added.  I could have overlooked that if it had tasted good but really it was just spicy and had no real chili flavor.  It was a bit of a disaster.

As I was writing this I wanted to reference the recipe that I followed.  Low and behold I think I discovered the problem.  This is the recipe that I looked up online:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/beef-chili-recipe/index.html

Notice that it is on the official food network site and has tyler florence at the top of it.  Looks legit right?

Now look at this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tylers-texas-chili-recipe2/index.html


This is what I believe was the correct recipe.  On the surface they both look fairly similar but they are not.

One thing I know I got wrong was the 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.  I read that as 3 cans of chipotle peppers.  I actually only had 2 cans but I put them all in.  This was quite an effort.  Someday I'll try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment