Monday, September 26, 2011

A Question for the President

I am connected to a site called linkedin.com.  This is a site were professionals in various fields can stay connected.  It's not like facebook.  It's more of a way to find a past colleague for professional purposes.  I don't really pay much attention to it, however a few days I got a spam email from them asking if I would like to ask a question of the president in a town hall meeting via email.  That got me to thinking, if the President showed up and pulled me aside and asked me point blank what I was concerned about.  What exactly would I say?  If you really think about it, that is not so easy a task.  Here is what I could roughly put together:

When are you going to give us the bad news?  I think politicians have a hard time giving people really bad news.  Sure they love to talk about how bad things are because of how the other guy is running things.  What not many politicians are willing to do is say "you can't have X, Y, and Z anymore".  I am not an expert on policy, social security, medicare, military spending, etc.  I am also not a medical doctor.  However, if I show up at a doctor's office one day with a runny nose and an achy feeling and he says "just take some aspirin and get plenty of fluids", I'll probably just do it because he's the expert.  If a few weeks later I show up at the same office now with pain in my chest and he tells me the same thing but just take Tylenol instead of aspirin, I'll probably say you know what, that doesn't make sense.  I'm going to another doctor.  Then I when I go to another doctor he says the other guy was an idiot what I really have to do is eat chicken soup.  Well, he's the expert so I do it.  Then a few weeks later I show up at the same doctor with all of what I had before but now I can't see.  He says, you gotta eat a different brand of chicken soup.  At this point I know both doctors are idiots and not telling me what is really wrong with me.  Unfortunately, they are apparently the only two doctors I can go to for help.  I'm no expert, but I'm not stupid.  I know something is wrong and that things are getting worse. Whether my doctor has a D or an R next to their name, I don't feel like I'm getting a straight answer.  That is what I want and I think that is what the American people want.  What is that answer?  I think we'll know it when we hear it.  Go ahead Mr. President give it your best shot.  It may cost you an election, but it will earn you my respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment