Monday, February 27, 2012

Lightbulb Challenge Completed

One of the things I dislike about my car is the fact that the lightbulbs seem to go out a lot more often than other cars I've owned.  Brake lights, tail lights, headlights, I've had to change all of those multiple times.  I have also noticed that the cost of doing this seemingly small repair has steadily gone up.  At this point for me to go to Jiffy Lube and get an oil change and change the light bulb it would most likely cost me close to $100.  So I took it upon myself to change my own light bulb.  This proved to be far more difficult than I ever imagined.  After taking off the plastic cover that goes over the back of the headlight and disconnecting a few power cables I realized that there is so little space between the headlight and the battery that I could barely see the back of the bulb let alone manipulate it with my hand.  At this point I had two choices, remove the battery or get the headlight out completely through the front.  I did not want to mess with the battery because I didn't know what that might do do the electronics in the car.  Probably nothing, but I didn't want to chance it.  So after viewing an extremely helpful youtube video on how to remove the headlight on a 2003 jetta, I along with my trusty sidekick Derek were able to remove the front grill, bumper, and the entire headlight assembly.  At that point, I was able to easily unsnap the locking clamp that was holding in the bulb and replace it.  I also had to buy a small wrench to get off some of the screws that were inconveniently close to the wheel.  The entire job took about an hour.  After putting it all back together, I changed my oil.  That was far less interesting.

All this to change a lightbulb?

No comments:

Post a Comment